Start Date: 12/13/2021 8:00 AM PST
End Date: 12/17/2021 5:00 PM PST
Venue Name: Gig Harbor & Medic 1 Location:
10222 Bujacich RD
Gig Harbor, WA United States 98332
Washington Fire Chiefs
NFPA 1021 – Fire Officer III
(Includes IFSAC Fire Officer III testing)
Location: Gig Harbor & Medic One
This course meets the needs of fire executive management and satisfies the requirements of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1021 Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications, Chapter six “Fire Officer 3.” The course is designed around a hybrid format of on-line pre-course work, classroom lectures (including individual and group interactive exercises) and individual presentations to improve your abilities to manage a fire service organization. The course emphasizes community/government relations, fire inspection and safety planning, budgeting, emergency services administration, human resources, emergency service delivery and management. The course includes written project work that will be submitted as part of a portfolio.
Upon completion of this course, you are eligible to take the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) Professional Qualifications written exam and practical testing.
- IFSTA Chief Officer, Fourth Edition, textbook, IBSN 978-0-87939-644-2
- Laptop or comparable computer for use before and during class
- Access to Office 365 or comparable software for word-processor, spreadsheet and presentation work (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat)
- Canvas Student Account (registration link will be provided as part of class)
- Valid email address
- Access to department policies, procedures and other documents
- Ability to connect and use the internet (Wi-Fi)
Students will receive a pre-course packet upon successful registration and acceptance into the training. Reading, pre-course work and discussion boards will be hosted in the Canvas environment and be available for 3-weeks prior to the classroom portion of the class. The course will cover the IFSTA Chief Officer pages 1-174 and appropriate portions of the appendices.
- IFSAC or Pro Board Certification to the Fire Officer II level or equivalent
- NIMS Training: I-100, 200, 300 or equivalent
- Individuals not certified to Fire Officer II may take the classes for knowledge but cannot take the certification exam upon completion of the program. They will receive a course completion certificate.
- Classroom Lectures and Projects: December 13-16, 2021, 0800-1700 hours
- IFSAC Written and Practical (In-person) Exam: December 17, 2021, 0800 hours until finished
- IFSAC Practical (Portfolio) Due: December 31, 2021, submitted by 1700 hours
IFSAC Testing Procedure:
This class is offering the Pilot for the Fire Officer III Testing process for IFSAC through the Washington State Patrols – Fire Protection Bureau Accreditation IFSAC Process. The test will include the following:
- Written Exam 100 questions 70% pass
- Practical (In-Person) Exam Selected Skill Sheets Pass/Fail
- Practical (Portfolio) Exam Selected Skill Sheets Pass/Fail
- Fire Officer III consists of 18 skill sheets and requires that all of them be completed to meet the competency requirements set forth in the standard.
Student will be on thier own for meals during this event.
Class Instructor: Brian Dodge
Battalion Chief Brian Dodge has over 35 years in the fire service. He currently is a member of Puget Sound RFA in Washington State. Brian is a retired U.S. Air Force veteran of Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. He is a frequent speaker/instructor for the fire service and has shared his experiences in classes and conferences throughout the United States. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Command Administration from Eastern Oregon University and is a IFSAC Fire Officer 4 level and holds several other state and national certifications.