Position Information

Assistant Chief of Operations
Assistant Chief of Operations
Vashon Island Fire & Rescue
Vashon, Washington
Salary$129,000 - $139,000
 
Located in the Puget Sound, just a 20-minute ferry ride from West Seattle, Vashon and Maury Islands consist of two connected beautiful rural islands with a small unincorporated town. Miles of lightly traveled, pine-edged country roads make bicycling, walking, and jogging popular activities. Vashon Island is a patchwork of pastoral and natural settings, and a great deal of the island is 5- and 10-acre parcels that maintain the rural feel. In the summer, you can visit one of the many farms, rent a kayak, take sailing lessons, or explore Vashon’s beaches. Whether you are petting an alpaca, slowing for deer crossing the road, or watching eagles soar, Vashon is a wonderful place to be.
 
Vashon Island Fire & Rescue (VIFR) provides first-tier emergency response to incidents involving fire, emergency medical services, motor vehicle and boating accidents, hazardous materials and rescue. Governed by a five-member Board of Fire Commissioners, VIFR operates on a 2022 budget of $5.3 million and employs 21 FTEs, six PTEs, and approximately 30 volunteer first responders. The Administrative staff includes the Fire Chief, the currently vacant Assistant Chief of Operations position, three full-time office staff, and a mechanic and facilities manager. VIFR primarily operates out of the District’s centrally-located main station, which is staffed around the clock. Two other stations provide access to apparatus for volunteers responding from home and/or other portions of the island. The District protects nearly 12,000 people and responds to roughly 1,700 calls annually where 75% are EMS-based incidents, with the remaining 25% being fire and non-fire-based incidents.
 
Working under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Assistant Chief of Operations will plan, organize, and manage the Fire District’s Emergency Operations and administrate and/or supervise all District first responders either directly or by delegation. Further, the Assistant Chief shall be specifically charged with and responsible for the operational readiness and training needs and requirements of the organization. In coordination and collaboration with the Fire Chief, the Assistant Chief will coordinate services and operations of the District which includes disaster preparedness, reports, and other work consistent with the goals, objectives, timelines, and budget.
 
For a complete position profile and to apply online, visit Prothman at https://www.prothman.com/, click on "Open Recruitments" and then click the position title. For questions, call 206-368-0050. Vashon Island Fire & Rescue is an Equal Opportunity Employer. First review of applications: April 3, 2022 (open until filled).
Position: Assistant Chief of Operations
Organization: Vashon Island Fire & Rescue
Location: Vashon,  WA 
United States
Salary: $129,000 - $139,000
Posting Start Date: 3/1/2022
Date Posted: 3/1/2022
Requirements A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in fire science or fire administration is preferred; a master’s degree in public administration or business administration is desirable. The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a comparable agency with experience in a senior management role, such as an operations chief, battalion chief, training officer, shift officer, or station officer. The ideal candidate will have experience in a combination fire district. (See complete position profile for additional requirements and preferred qualifications.)
Status: This listing expires on: 5/30/2022
Apply Apply for this Position
Send to a Friend  Send to Friend
   Print Job
Return to Job Search  Return to Job Search
Post a Position  Post a Position
Organization Information
Name:
Vashon Island Fire & Rescue
Address:


Vashon,  WA 98070
United States
Email:
info@prothman.com
Phone:
(206) 368-0050
Fax:
Contact:
Prothman

WFC Motto:
To Serve Educate & Lead


WFC Mission:
Providing leadership through service, education and advocacy.