For a complete job description and application materials contact: Dani Smith, HR Director at (360)537-3207, or via email at email@example.com
Reporting to the Mayor, the Fire Chief serves as the principal advisor to the Mayor, City Council, and the Public Safety Committee in all fire and emergency service related matters. The Fire Chief plans, organizes, and directs all functions of the City Fire Department to protect life and property through fire extinguishing, prevention, and emergency medical services.
The Fire Chief works with considerable independence under the general direction of the Mayor and City Council, and is responsible for the department's vision, plan, and community partnerships. The position supervises professional and technical personnel and requires a proven track record of strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills necessary to promote AFD’s mission, vision and values. The Fire Department is a service-oriented agency whose mission is “To provide the Citizens of Aberdeen protection from uncontrolled fire and hazardous materials through prevention efforts and suppression activities, and provide comprehensive pre-hospital emergency medical care to the sick and injured.”
Examples of Duties
HOW TO APPLY
- As of October 2018 serves as the Interim Fire Chief of the Hoquiam Fire Department.
- Directs and coordinates efficient fire suppression activities, emergency medical services, fire prevention programs, Community Risk Reduction, and provides leadership and direction to all personnel involved.
- Monitors all fiscal operations of the department. Coordinates and prepares department annual budget and justifies budget requests and amendments. Approves department expenditures; obtains and evaluates bid proposals on equipment;
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of subordinates.Directs the selection of staff, oversees training, and evaluates performance. Offers technical assistance to staff on more complex problems. Oversees departmental personnel practices, reviews and approves disciplinary decisions of subordinate managers.
- Responds to 2nd alarm or greater fires, EMS incidents, and high risk low frequency incidents.
- Leads development of department training programs, and reviews and monitors training programs; also provides input to the City and participates in negotiating bargaining unit contracts.
- Establishes and implements policies, procedures, and standards for the efficient and effective operation and maintenance of programs.
- Identifies state and federal legislative issues related to department activities; meets with state and local officials. Works with other fire departments regarding joint projects and mutual aid agreements.
- Leads the department’s disaster preparedness, response capabilities, and recovery efforts. Participates in local and regional emergency management, and interfaces with County and other agencies to coordinate planning for the response and recovery from disasters.
- Develops, organizes, and submits grant applications to state and federal funding agencies and private foundations and administers the application of these funds.
- Directs the overall development and maintenance of computerized networks, communications systems, and electronic and hardcopy records that support department activities and services, personnel, and property.Researches and prepares ordinances, resolutions, and reports for the Mayor and City Council regarding fire and EMS related activities.
- Makes presentations to civic groups and others regarding department activities and programs; promotes public understanding of goals. Provides press releases to the media.
- Analyzes and recommends improvements to existing facilities, equipment and operating systems of the department.
Please submit a Letter of Interest and Resume, no later than 5:00 P. M. on Wednesday August 31, 2022 (First review of applicants—open until filled) to:
Dani Smith, Human Resources Director City of Aberdeen 200 East Market Street Aberdeen, WA 98520
Or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fire Chief’s monthly salary for the City of Aberdeen for 2022 is $10,927 per month, which is currently under review. This is set by Ordinance. The Fire Chief receives 5% above the Assistant Fire Chief’s Salary.
||Aberdeen Fire Department
||$131,124 annually (Under review)
|Posting Start Date:
fire-fighting, fire prevention, EMS, and disaster control principles and procedures; operational procedures of firefighting equipment and facilities; modern principles and practices of incident command, leadership, management, basic information technologies, and supervision.
interact with a variety of public safety agencies and community groups; analyze situations quickly and objectively, to recognize actual and potential danger, and to determine proper course of action; monitor and maintain accurate accounting and budgeting procedures; plan, organize, and oversee assigned work programs, including monitoring work schedules, legal requirements, information technologies, and progress reviews; communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
A minimum of ten years of progressive experience in fire suppression and emergency medical services in a management and supervisory capacity at a level equivalent to Fire Battalion Chief or Chief Officer in a career fire department.
An Associate’s degree in Fire Science, Public Administration or related field, or a graduate of the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program. The City of Aberdeen will consider any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
LICENSES, CERIFICATES, and OTHER REQUIREMENTS
United States Citizen; or be able to provide documents of eligibility to work in the United States.
A driver’s license is required.
Shall possess at a minimum an Advanced First Aid certification within one year of employment and shall maintain certification throughout employment.
||This listing expires on: 8/31/2022